Welcome to the official development blog for The Sentient!
The game is currently in Pre-Alpha but an open alpha will be available soon as we would love to get your feedback!
ABOUT THE GAME
The Sentient is a challenging space exploration simulation game for the PC being developed by Uncaged Studios and is currently in the Pre-Alpha stage. The Sentient is inspired by games like FTL, Theme Hospital, Pixel Piracy and The Sims.
In The Sentient you play as the first and only sentient artificial intelligence. Mankind has been failing in their attempts to conquer and explore the vastness of space and they look to you for assistance in this endeavor. You are humanities last hope and it is what you do and learn that will be the basis for many generations to come.
The game consists of traveling and exploring various galaxies and sectors of space while attempting to bring research back to Earth via an orbital station known as "The Ark." At the Ark you are able to recruit humans in order to aid you in your endeavors, upgrade and change the layout of your ship, and research and improve new technologies in order to aid you on future missions. When out in space, your decisions can result in the life or death of your crew members. Since this is mankind's first real exploration of space, everything must be discovered in order to attempt to work with or against aliens. Due to this there will be battles with alien vessels and unforeseen events that can improve or greatly hinder your travels.
Current features are listed below however since the game is in Pre-Alpha they may be changed/altered based on direct feedback.
- Living Breathing Crew - The crew of the ship is not just a mindless group of individuals waiting on your orders. Each crew member has needs that they must fulfill on a daily basis. They must sleep, eat, relieve themselves etc in order to truly live out in space. Keeping your crew happy will directly result in their efficiency.
- Crew Member Experience - Crew members will level up their skills via continuous use.
- Permadeath - Losing a crew member in space is permanent. Once a crew member dies or is lost he is gone for good. Think twice on what events you decide to participate in and how you put your ship in danger.
- Macro and Micromanagement - Crew members can be given a daily schedule in which to work and operate on the ship, or you can step in and force the AI to take breaks, perform tasks and truly optimize efficiency.
- Full Customization of Your Ship - Design the entire layout of your ships. Place each room that your crew will interact with and determine the optimal layout for space travel. The size and the amount of objects are all based on your decisions. If you feel there should be 3 weapon consoles you can place them, or multiple flight sticks to aid in avoid attacks the choice is yours.
- Procedurally Generated Star System and Sectors - Each play through will have various sectors and randomized events to make each game different.
- Explore - Participate in various dynamic ship and location events and make the decisions that you feel are best for your crew.
- Continuous Research - As with all technology once something is discovered it is not simply left alone, it is continuously improved. In The Sentient you can do this as well. All technology can be continuously improved like your weapon systems, hull and various capabilities in order to truly conquer the stars.
- Unique Alien Races - Each alien race has their own characters tactics and ships. Learn what truly makes them tick in order to determine the best choices for the job.
- Risk Versus Reward Exploration - The further out you go in space in a continuous run the more research you will be able to obtain. If your ship is lost all research from that sector will be lost as well.
- Play The Way You Want - Since the game is a true space sim, play the way you want to play. Try and determine the optimal way to play for your own individual style.
- And Additional Surprises...